Oneil Lewis is a senior coach for Street Kings UK, we take a closer look at the man that runs King of Tekkers Telford & why he is so popular within the group.
His love for football started at a young age whilst kicking a ball around the parks in Jamaica. Heavily influenced by Brazilian/Argentinian football due to the footballing greats of Pele & Maradona – the bug had been caught!
Oneil has always had a penchant for the flair player, watching the greats over the years and studying their moves & abilities with great wonder. That continued into the 90’s with John Barnes, who then became his hero in that iconic red shirt. With them both having many similarities such as the same birthday, place of birth & time of arriving in England (including the playing skills(!).) he took the opportunity to meet him on many occasions, talking about their upbringings & walking away with some signed boots from back in 96′.
Over the years football took over for Oneil, playing it at every chance he got, turning out for AFC Telford United from age 14-18 and then played Saturday/Sunday league for a variety of teams such as Bennets Bank, The Bell Pub, NEC, Tibberton & Impact United.
“If you can engage with youths whilst they are on their seemingly rocky path, there is a greater chance to stop them stepping on to the wrong path.” Oneil Lewis, Senior Coach – Street Kings UK
Oneil felt that his skills might not hit the heights of his hero Barnes and felt his talents lay in coaching. Oneil headed into it part time in 2007 with Telford & Wrekin Council alongside his then full time job of working at NACRO – a youth engagement charity.
Oneil started running community football sessions for 12-21 year olds as a form of engaging in the community. This is currently still ongoing and being run from the HLC school in Hadley & is very popular with up to 40 participants over 2 one hour sessions every Friday. (12s-15s & 16s-21s year olds).
Other the years Oneil has worked in a range of youth oriented positions – using his upbringing & experiences to help others every day. Here is a snapshot of the amazing work Oneil has done over the years:
- Shrewsbury College as a Sports Lecturer.
- Street League – a football charity in Birmingham working with 16-19 year olds on increasing employability skills through football.
- Working with young people with learning difficulties & challenging behaviour through the “I Can 2” scheme run by Telford & Wrekin Council.
- Adult participants through the Men’s Health Project run by Telford & Wrekin Council & Primary Care Trust (PCT).
- Currently Teaching Sports Studies at TCAT through Protocol as you’re aware.
- Current manager of AFC Telford Utd U12 youth development squad & have been with the club as a coach going into my 5th season. Won the league with the U12s 3 years ago!
- Currently still play in 7-a side leagues at Oakengates.
- BSc Hons Sports Coaching Degree.
- Level 1 & 2 Football Coaching.
- Youth Module 1 & 2.
- Teaching Qualification-Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS).
- Up to date CRB/DBS.
- Up to date Safeguarding & Emergency Aid.
- Member of the FA Licence Coaches Club.
- Various other non-relevant qualifications such as H&S, working with dyslexic learners & diffusing aggression.
Oneil’s vast experience make him a valuable asset to Street Kings UK, he runs his sessions with a fun feel to it, making them as engaging as he can, making sure everyone is focused and enjoying themselves, which is why his King of Tekkers Telford sessions of some of our most popular!